Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Buttermilk Biscuits

Buttermilk Biscuits
from Learning the Frugal Life

2 cups all purpose flour
1 T baking powder
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter, shortening or margarine
(of course I used butter, softened in the microwave until it was the consistency of shortening)
3/4 cup buttermilk

In a bowl stir together all dry ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center. Add buttermilk and stir just till dough clings together.

On a lightly floured surface knead dough gently for 10-12 strokes. Roll or pat dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter (I used a glass) dipping in flour between cuts (I didn't do). I'm also lazy and only try to do one dough re-roll, so sometimes the edges aren't perfectly circular when I get close to the dough edge.

Place biscuits on greased baking sheet (I used my Pampered Chef stone so I didn't have to). Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

Makes 10-12





I made two batches so I'd have leftovers. Oddly enough, the first batch made 11 and the second batch made 12. Next time I'll make it all together, but for the first time I wanted to make it just like the recipe was written so I could see exactly how it was supposed to be.

And if you don't have buttermilk on hand, which I don't a lot of times, you can put a tablespoon of lemon juice in a one cup measuring cup and then add milk to equal one cup. Since this calls for 3/4 cup, I suppose you could just use 3/4 T lemon juice in a 3/4 cup measuring cup and add milk to equal 3/4 cup. I see no reason why not. No need to throw away perfectly good milk. I think you're supposed to let it sit for a few minutes to let it activate or something, too. Don't really know why I think that, but I usually do because it seems like I read it once.

If you like a good biscuit or two, or like me, five, make these. Or if you have a big family, more than one batch so you can have five.

2 comments:

Bobbi said...

Woohoo...she is set up for comments and everything! So planning to make these thumbs up beauties soon!

kat said...

These look wonderful! I’ll be trying this soon! Stop by and visit my site for a yummy chimichanga recipe!