Saturday, June 6, 2009

Homemade Granola

Homemade Granola

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey
5 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup dry milk
3/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/2 cup raisins
(but if you think I'm putting food in my food, you're crazy; I just put this here in case someone else happens to want this recipe and likes raisins; you can add other stuff, too, like it says in the directions below)

Mix brown sugar, oil and honey in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and heat until the sugar is dissolved. Combine dry ingredients in a large cake pan. Pour syrup over dry mixture and mix well. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. Let cool in pan. Add raisins (if you must) and stir. Store in an airtight container. I use pretty glass canning jars. It takes me two 4-quart jars.

You can also add wheat germ, coconut, nuts, dates and other dried fruit. Of course that's just what the recipe said. That would again qualify as food in my food. Makes 5 cups. Mine makes more than that without the food in my food, maybe because it's not pressed down in the jars.

Here's what it looks like in my pan that I fix it in. I haven't been quick enough to take pictures in the jars.

0 comments: